Anyone else in disbelief that August is coming to an end? I still can’t believe it and in an attempt to squeeze every last drop out of the season, I’m keeping busy and doing ALL THE SUMMER THINGS. This past weekend the kids, grandma and I headed to Haymarket, Virginia to visit Burnside Farms. Their Summer of Sunflowers runs through the end of the month so I’m happy we were able to catch it while it’s still peak season.
During the Spring, Burnside Farms also hosts a Festival of Spring with beautiful tulip fields as far as the eye could see. Making a mental note to visit next Spring! One of the cool things about Burnside is that it is chemical free and they follow guidelines for organic, sustainable
production which is great for those crunchy moms;) Today I thought it would be fun to share 4 reasons why you should visit Burnside Farms!
- Unlike a few other sunflower fields in thegreater DC area, Burnside Farms allows you to actually pick the sunflowers.
- The fields are at their peak for over a month which is rare. This means the sunflowers fields are open for at least 6 weeks.
- This place is so kid friendly! Since you can choose whether or not you’d like to pick flowers, kids can enjoy that along with the other activities including a bouncy castle, a bouncy slide, swings and cute miniature play houses.
- This is a great place for a summer picnic!There’s a large shaded area with a grove of trees and plenty of picnic tables, or you can opt to enjoy your lunch on the grass.
A few tips…
- The Summer of Sunflowers event runs from mid-July
to the end of August
- There is an admission fee of $6 for anyone over the
age of 2
- There’s also a fee to pick sunflowers but it’s only $1.50
- Note, there are no bathrooms but port-a-potties are available
- There’s a little tented, outdoor market where you can purchase snacks and beverages
Can’t get enough of FabAve? Let’s get social: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Bloglovin’ and Pinterest!