Soon enough the summer season will be upon us and when that time arrives I’d like my wardrobe to be prepared. The following 11 items can easily be classified as some of the most essential pieces a gal can have on hand in her closet for the warmer months. The collection of pieces includes both tried and true favorites along with a few trendier items appropriate for the season. For my minimalist friends out there, this can definitely serve a pretty great starting off point for a summer capsule wardrobe!
1// Distressed Shorts – perfect for a backyard barbecue, an impromptu road trip to the beach or cocktails on the patio with the ladies, distressed shorts are a definite must-have for summer.
- paired it with a simple cami, animal print cluch and chunky heels for cocktails with the ladies
- think girl next door with a nautical tee and and comfy sneakers for the Forth of July weekend
2// White Denim – everyone knows that white denim (before or after Memorial day – you make the rules) is a must! In whatever style you prefer (boyfriend, skinny, distressed, flared), white denim jeans are where it’s at for summer.
- make your summer skin glow by pairing with a white tee and heels for a night out on the town
- pair with a white tank, a floral kimono and heels for a boho vibe
- add a chambray top and sandals to hit up the Farmers Market on a Saturday
3// Tan (or nude) Sandals – these are such a summer staple to me, so they had to be included. Cognac or nude, sandals go with just about all looks and add an effortless touch to any look.
- wear with skirts, dresses, jeans or shorts, neutral sandals are just that – NEUTRAL
4// Little White Dress – let’s be real here, this one is an obvious essential for the summer season. Consider adding one with a twist, think eyelet, off-the-shoulder or lace.
- just add a straw hat and neutral heels for fun on a boat
- pair with lace up sandals to play tourist in your own town
5// Silk Camisole – dainty enough to help combat humidity, a silk cami is the perfect ‘sexy’ piece to have on hand for the summer.
- throw under an open chambray top, distressed denim shorts and sneakers for burgers and beers with the fella
- styled with white denim, chunky sandals and bangles for date night
6// Chambray Top – not just a summer essential, the chambray top is the perfect topper all year around.
- worn with distressed denim and chunky heels for a sexy Canadian tuxedo look
- tired around the waist with a simple tee, white denim and sneakers for a baseball game
7// Espadrilles – hands down the unofficial shoe for summer! Whether they’re in wedge form (my preference), sneaker form or sandals – espadrilles are a comfy, yet chic choice for footwear during the summer months.
- pick your style of choice and have fun!Espadrilles pair well with just about any outfit and any and all occasions!
8// Floral Kimono – like a cardigan but fancier, kimono have been on trend for a few summers now and I don’t think they’re going anywhere. Thy are especially great for mom’s on the go in need of a style boost!
- wear over white tee, denim shorts and gladiator sandals to attend a music festival
- add to a tank dress and sandal combo for dinner with friends
- pair with a crop top, boyfriend jeans and mules sneakers for a day at the park
9// Stripe Tee – an essential in every closet, male or female, all year around! The stripe tee adds a little nautical twist to any outfit (especially if they’re red stripes) and can be mixed and matched with all sorts of prints.
- pair with white denim and espadrilles for a trip to the mall
- wear underneath a simple white dress for a 90s vibe
10// Sneakers – adding sneakers to the list was a no brainer. The comfier the better!
- Slip on with denim shorts and a cami for running errands
- dress down a an LBD by adding sneakers to the mix
11// Straw Hat – a straw hat for summer, need I say more?