I’ve become obsessed with creating homemade trail mix baggies for snacking as of late, so today I thought it would be fun to share my current favorite combination. My baggies have become perfect for mid-day snacking at my desk or right before the gym. Typically I keep my servings to a quarter cup or less to keep it from becoming junk food. You have to keep in mind that trail mix is normally high in calories, so I would advise to keep your servings to a similar portion size.
I would love to hear your favorite trail mix ingredients! Please share in the comments section:)
- Nuts: Cashews and pecans. I usually got for the unsalted, unsweetened options.
- Dried Fruit: My favorites include cranberries and raisins. I suggest you take a look at the nutritional information on the packaging and consider nixing options with high sugar and preservatives added.
- Grains: Whole Grain Cheerios and organic, no salt popcorn. A great addition to keep you full!
- Seeds: Sunflower seeds are a must.
- Sweet: Dark chocolate M&Ms. I naturally add these sparingly.
- Salty: Wasabi peas. Adds a bit a complexity to the mix and rounds out the ingredients.