Tips and tricks for how to plan and execute an epic trip with your girlfriends!
As we’re still in the beginning parts of 2020, I think it’s safe to say it might be a good time to start planning your next girl’s trip! I’ve talked about the reasons you should make a girls getaway an annual thing (read that post here), but today I wanted to chat about how to go about planning one. It’s not always easy, but believe me, it’s always worth it!
Things to consider when planning a girls trip:
- Planning – Delegate the person that will be in charge of keeping all the details together. This doesn’t necessarily have to be the person that does research on the location and accommodations, but if it is, even better! Sure, you can delegate tasks but having one point of contact can smooth out the process in the long run.
- Timing – Be aware of the constraints that some girlfriends might have depending on the time of year, i.e. holidays, family vacays, work schedules, etc. Connect with everyone involved and throw out a few dates and see what works. My friends and I have used Calendly and Survey Monkey to pinpoint a weekend that works best for everyone.
- Budget – While my girlfriends and I have established careers, we also have family’s and bills so budget is always something to be considered when planning our next trip. Be clear about how much you’re willing to spend and make sure everyone is on the same page. The budget essentially determines the destination, accommodations, and any potential excursions/experiences. Also, be sure to account for extra costs like gas/travel and food.
So you’ve convened with your crew, determined a date and local, and hashed out a budget – now you’re ready to book your stay! When it comes to figuring out where to stay, things have become much easier than they were back in the day. There are so many options to consider and here are just a few…
- The traditional hotel stay is always a great option but it can get pricey so discuss with whether someone might have points accrued that can be used for the getaway. For trips that are within the 2-4 hour drive, hotels are a pretty good choice. Also to save money, consider staying in the same room as some of your girlfriends.
- The new, cool alternative is Airbnb or VRBO. My girlfriends and I went this route for our last trip and it’s a great option for larger groups. I definitely recommend reading all the fine print.
- You can do what Ross and Emily did and book a Bed & Breakfast. This option is a little more comfortable than a hotel plus you get scheduled activities and local recommendations. The con is potentially sharing a bathroom with a stranger and a lack of privacy.
Trying the local restaurants is my favorite part of trips so I make it a priority to do my research and I suggest you do the same when planning your next girl’s trip. Don’t forget to make reservations ahead of time if you’re visiting a popular place. And if you’re renting out a place, designate meals and even consider doing themed meals to make it more fun!